Sunday, May 1, 2016

Turn Off the Light




I have one way to start using that bad hand,  http://braininjuryknow.blogspot.com/2016/03/using-that-hand-again.html Piano wasn't for me, though. I wanted to turn my light off when I left my bedroom. My good arm is the left. The light switch is the right.

No need to restrain the good hand. Either retrain the bad, or turn around to use the good. I use a wheel chair. The light wasn't worth the trouble of turning the chair. So I put my bad arm up n let gravity take over. It wasn't pretty, but it got the job done. It looks better now. I have control over that bad arm. The point is that I was using it.

So what if it didn't look good? It felt good.

________________________________________________

Choose an activity. This one chose me. You may have to restrain your good hand. Don't do anything fancy. Wear an oven mitt on your good hand.

Maybe you make your bed every day. Do the pillow with your bad hand. Either keep that mitt nearby, or concentrate on only using that hand. You can finish up the way you were doing, but you gave yourself some practical therapy. Formally, the therapy is called Occupational Therapy. Some figure it only to focus on the hands. It includes the use of equipment, also, in order to get a job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment